Our Survey Process
- After an in-depth discussion about your organization’s structure, perceived strengths and weaknesses, and goals and values, we work with you to craft custom questions and add them to a standard questionnaire that we have developed with more than 20 years of experience with a variety of industries.
- We also modify or delete questions to meet the specific needs of your organization. The survey won’t move forward until you are completely satisfied with the questionnaire.
- We can conduct your employee survey in more than 140 languages. After we have worked with you to design your questionnaire, we will have it translated and programmed into almost any language you prefer. After the survey is completed, we will translate all foreign language comments back to English.
- We program and test the questionnaire and send you a test URL so you can preview the survey online as it will be seen by your employees, we will also provide you real-time access to your response rates.
- We provide you a communication package that will include examples of survey invitations and important information about the survey process you can share with your managers. Once programmed, our questionnaires take about 15 minutes, on average, to complete.
- We recommend that the survey remain open for two weeks and that you allow employees to complete it online whenever is most convenient. This gives ample opportunity for all employees, including those on vacation or business trips, to respond.
- Within a couple of days of the survey’s close, we will send you a top-line summary report in an easy-to-read format.
- The final report usually will be ready within one to two weeks, depending upon the desired report format and the complexity of the survey. For this final report, we read each comment and classify it into one or more categories, simplifying comments by percentage.
- This provides a summary that can be understood in very little time alongside the deep-dive of the full data set. In our experience, where there are too many comments for busy senior managers to read and digest, this process of categorization reduces the chances that a manager may be misled by overweighting comments that mirror their own feelings.
- After the final report has been delivered, we will walk you through the results with a debrief of the data and answer any questions you may have.
- At this critical juncture, where you have acquired vital information but may be unsure how to proceed, we help you to move to the important next step of communicating results to your employees. Based on the size and structure of your organization, communicating results may be a direct or a tiered process; we have helped organizations of all sizes to break down relevant data and deliver it in effective and engaging ways.
- Follow-up is key. Your workforce will be paying attention to how you handle the information they have given to you. The right communication plan is crucial to avoid perceptions of deflection or leadership “circling the wagons.”
- One of the reasons we keep our survey costs competitive is our belief that it is more important for organizations to focus on post-survey actions than on the survey process itself.
- While our advice varies from organization to organization, some of our key recommendations include establishing a cross-sectional committee to review overall company results and to make recommendations to management; appointing senior “champions;” and posting all action plans publicly to encourage accountability, the sharing of best practices, collaboration, and consistency.
- We also recommend instituting a means for follow-up feedback to be submitted and processed. Give your organization time to gain traction on actions; don’t commit to another survey for 18 to 24 months.
Survey expert Allan Benowitz may be reached at (781) 281-7257 today.